The Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin
In early October 1839, approximately 20 families settled near Trinity to found the colony of Freistadt. Prompted by religious persecution in their homeland of Pomerania, Germany, the group sought and found a religious haven in Wisconsin. The first log cabin was located southwest of the present church building. The congregation immediately purchased 40 acres of land and in the spring of 1840 built the first Lutheran church in the state of Wisconsin. The log building, 30 by 20 feet, was also used as a school. The first pastor of the congregation was L.F.E. Krause (1841-1847). The Lutheran Buffalo Synod was organized at Trinity in June 1845. Since 1848, the congregation has been a member of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod.
More than 175 years later, Trinity continues to support families through Lutheran education, worship services, and ministry through our Lord Jesus Christ. To God be the Glory!